You might have heard of GNC mass gainers and whey protein, but do you know there is another important category of fitness supplements – pre-workout supplements. Pre-workout supplements provide a boost to your workouts as they are enriched with a powerful blend of ingredients. There are various kinds of pre workout supplements available. You can simply mix the supplements in water or milk to make a shake, blend them with yogurt and fruits to make a smoothie, or even add to recipes like pancakes, protein bars etc. to get all the benefits.
Benefits of pre-workout supplements
Some of the main benefits of including pre workout supplements in your routine include –
- Keep you energized throughout your workouts
- Supports quick and sustained recovery
- Aids with weight management
- Prevents muscle breakdown after intense exercises
- Reduces fatigue and tiredness in between workout sessions
It would be best to get in touch with your trainer and doctor to know the best GNC pre workout supplements based on your individual requirements.
5 delicious pre-workout snack and smoothie recipes
Try these 5 amazing and super quick to make recipes of pre-workout snacks and smoothies!
- Super spinach smoothie
Eating your greens is so important, but a lot of times green leafy vegetables tend to get overlooked over junk food. Make this smoothie with the power of spinach as a pre-workout smoothie and you’ll be able to smash your workout goals. You can add any fitness supplement of your choice like – mass gainer, pre-workout powder, BCAA supplement, or even whey protein.
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- ½ cup coconut water
- 1 scoop GNC BCAA supplement
- ½ banana
- ½ cup diced pineapple
- ½ cup chopped mangoes
- Place all the ingredients in a high speed blender jar and blend for about 30 seconds. If the consistency is too thick, add some water and blend again.
- Transfer to a glass and enjoy!
- Peanut butter and banana smoothie
Peanut butter and banana are two of the most loved ingredients for smoothies. They are both really healthy and give your smoothies a creamy texture. This smoothie will be the perfect pre-workout snack you need to power through your workouts and get that extra push. You can either use a whey protein powder or any other GNC pre workout supplement
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 cup milk (you can take any plant based of your choice)
- 2 scoops GNC whey protein
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- In a blender jar frozen banana, peanut butter, and milk. Blend well.
- Add GNC pre-workout supplement and blend again. You can add more milk and honey as per your taste.
- Transfer to a glass and enjoy!
- Strawberry Smoothie
It is the season of strawberries and you should definitely try this easy to make recipe. Berries are loaded with antioxidants that prevent the damage caused by free radicals. You can even call this smoothie breakfast in a glass and have it on the go or even as a snack in-between meals when you crave something sweet!
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup skim milk (you can take any plant based milk)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 scoops GNC BCAA pre-workout supplement
- 1 frozen
- 1 cup strawberries (chopped)
- 1 tbsp honey (optional)
- In a high speed blender add frozen banana, strawberries, vanilla extract, oats, and milk and blend well.
- Add the pre workout supplement and blend again.
- Transfer to a glass, garnish with strawberries and enjoy!
- Chocolate and peanut butter energy balls
On days when you crave something sweet, yet don’t want to compromise on your diet this would be the perfect recipe. You can have it as a pre-workout snack or even in-between meals when you want to munch on something healthy. They are better and healthier than store bought energy balls and super affordable as well.
- 1 ripe banana
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbsp flaxseeds
- 2 scoops GNC pre-workout supplement
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
- In a medium sized bowl, mash the banana. Add cocoa powder, peanut butter, salt and flaxseeds and mix well.
- Stir in oats and mix well until you get a thick creamy consistency.
- Scoop out bite size balls using a spoon and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Protein Krispies
On binge-watch nights or a road trip, when you want something crunchy and delicious, this is what you should be eating. It has the goodness of fitness supplements and no guilt of added sugar or preservatives, so you can have these treats worry free. Make a huge batch because your family will also love these.
- 4 cups rice crisps
- ½ cup peanut butter (slightly melted)
- 3 scoops vanilla whey protein (or pre-workout supplement)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp honey or any other sweetener of choice
- Grease your loaf with cooking spray and keep it aside.
- In a bowl mix honey, peanut butter, vanilla extract, and whey protein powder (or pre workout supplement) until you get a smooth consistency.
- Add rice crisps to this mixture. Use your hands to lightly tap and mix the entire batter.
- Use a spatula and spread the entire batter into the loaf.
- Place in the fridge for 30 – 40 minutes and allow it to set.
- Cut into bite sized cubes. Store in an airtight jar.
Be careful that you follow the dosage instructions for each pre workout supplement. Do not consume excess amounts as it may cause side effects. The side effects can be – nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, headache and dizziness, redness and rashes etc.
If you notice any of these signs, stop taking the supplement and consult your doctor at the earliest. Discontinue use 2 weeks prior to any surgery.