Pamela McDonough, the founder of Moondance Vedic Astrology and author of Vedic Astrology for Beginners, has said that Vedic astrology is a blend of rich spiritual traditions and myths of ancient Indian culture. Jyotish is an accepted science and a part of their lifestyle for most Indians.
Vedic astrology or Jyotish is the traditional Hindu system of astrology, also called Hindu astrology. In Sanskrit, the word Jyotish stands for “science of light”. It refers to the profound and mathematically sophisticated astrology form in India’s ancient Vedic traditions. The term Jyotisha includes the study of astronomy, astrology and the science of timekeeping using the motion of celestial bodies. Initially, it aimed to keep time, maintain a calendar, and predict auspicious times for Vedic rituals. But later, it became more personalised and was used to describe the planetary positions at the time of one’s birth and its effect on their life. You must look for good astrologers in Hyderabad if you wish to know more about your planetary positions and their influence.
According to Vedic astrology, there are 27 constellations made up of 12 zodiac signs, nine planets and 12 houses, with each house and planet representing some aspect of human life. Depending on when a person is born, the 12 signs are distributed among the 12 houses, and nine planets are placed in various houses. This visual representation of the signs and planets is called a horoscope chart. Vedic astrology tries to connect these signs and positions with human life.
The 12 Vedic Signs
There are 12 signs in the Vedic zodiac. Here’s the list of all the Vedic sign dates-
- Aries: Mesha (April 13–May 14)
- Taurus: Vrishaba (May 15–June 14)
- Gemini: Mithuna (June 15–July 14)
- Cancer: Karkata (July 15–August 14)
- Leo: Simha (August 15–September 15)
- Virgo: Kanya (September 16–October 15)
- Libra: Tula (October 16–November 14)
- Scorpio: Vrishchika (November 15–December 14)
- Sagittarius: Dhanus (December 15–January 13)
- Capricorn: Makara (January 14–February 11)
- Aquarius: Kumbha (February 12–March 12)
- Pisces: Meena (March 13–April 12)
Types Of Vedic Astrology
Vedic astrology (Jyotisha) has three main branches:
- Siddhanta (Astronomy): Astronomy’s application to astrology
- Samhita (Mundane astrology): Covers Mundane astrology, predicting important events related to countries such as war, earthquakes, political events, Astro – meteorology, financial positions, electional astrology; house & construction related matters (Vaastu Shaastra), animals, portents & omens, etc.
- Hora (Predictive astrology): This branch is further divided into different styles/sub-branches:-
- Jaatak Shaastra / Hora Shaastra (Natal Astrology/horoscopy): Individual horoscope predictions
- Muhurt or Muhurtha (Electional astrology): Selection of valuable time to initiate an activity to get maximum fruition from the life activities.
- Swar Shaastra (Phonetical astrology): Astrology based on name & sounds.
- Prashna (Horary astrology): Predictions based on when the querent asks a question.
- Ankjyotisha / Kabala (Numerology): A branch of astrology that deals with the study of numbers.
- Nadi Astrology: An ancient method that gives detailed predictions for individuals.
- Tajik Shaastra / Varsha Phal (Annual Horoscopy): Predictions based on annual solar returns
- Jaimini Sutras: A non-conventional approach to events’ timing based on Famous Indian astrologer Acharya Jaimini.
- Nastjaatakam (Lost Horoscopy): Art of rebuilding lost horoscopes.
- Streejaatak (female astrology): A particular branch of astrology dealing with female nativities.
Difference Between Vedic Astrology And Western Astrology
- Different Calendars
Vedic astrology uses sidereal zodiac based on the fixed position of the constellations in the sky. On the other hand, Western astrology uses the tropical zodiac, which is based on the relative and changeable positions of the sun.
Both Vedic and western astrology have 12 zodiac signs each, but the dates vary slightly due to the precession of the equinoxes.
Vedic astrology is, however, more reliable as it depends on moon sign over sun sign making Vedic predictions more precise. Vedic astrologers study the natal chart and the dasas, the periods of different planets transiting through various characters and their influence in real-time. If you want to know about your life predictions, you must reach out to a suitable astrologer in Hyderabad.
Astrology- Science or Not?
Astrology has not explained the relationship between the universe and its effect on earthly life. Scientific testing has been conducted, and no evidence has been found to support the statements outlined in astrological traditions. Astrology retains a position among the sciences in modern India despite its status as a pseudoscience in specific religious, political, and legal contexts.
Vedic astrology is a powerful tool to analyse celestial motions and their influence on our lives. Jyotisha helps us realise our strengths and make better choices. Astrology can predict what will come your way, but putting in the effort and utilising the opportunity is your job.